This week, I will be attending a two-day meeting on immigration and healthcare. It’s not an area that I know a lot about and I am interested in your thoughts on the topic. Presidential candidates are not discussing the issues.
One worry that I have concerns privatizing of many public healthcare programs that have served immigrants well for centuries. America seems keen on privatizing right now, but the benefits and harms are not clearly known.
These issues are on my mind:
- Will immigrants who were able to get care in the public sector still have the same access once health care is privatized?
- Will preventive care, chronic care be available?
- Will more care be provided in the emergency room?
- Will shrinkage of the public sector mean that they will be sicker?
- What will happen to elderly immigrants? Will the healthcare system accommodate immigrants when they decline?
- What can be done in health policy and planning to bolster equity and fairness?
What are your thoughts on this issue?